Pages

Mar 22, 2009

Heard about the free NIN/JA 2009 download?

I had downloaded NIN's new album free a few months ago when I heard they were offering it free for a limited time. I had never unsubscribed to their email list so got another email this afternoon from nin.com about a free NIN download.

I've listened to this kind of music before but I'm not really a huge fan of any of the bands featured on this tour EP. I decided to download it anyway and give it a listen - after all, it was offered free so what's there to lose?

Nine Inch Nails
Janes Addiction
This 6 song EP features three bands: Nine Inch Nails, Jane's Addiction, and Street Sweeper. The tour sampler is offered in four format options: high-quality MP3s (45 mb), FLAC lossless (160 mb), M4A apple lossless (163 mb), and WAVE 16/44.1 (223 mb). All files are 100% DRM-free. I downloaded the mp3 version so I wouldn't have to mess with the torrents that are required to open the other file formats. It was a relatively quick download.

Frankly, I really wasn't impressed with the music on this EP. Only one song (Chip Away by Jane's Addiction) actually grabbed my attention because there was a little more rhythm to it than the others, but the rest of the 6-song EP wasn't noteworthy to me. The music didn't have much popular appeal to me, sounding more like an artist's desperate attempt for attention through the use of controversy-laden lyrics and topics that just shout "to hell with conformity!"

I'm sure there are die-hard fans of NIN, Jane's Addiction, and Street Sweeper (who in the world are they?!) who might appreciate this EP, but as for me, I will gladly free up some disk space on my computer by deleting them. I still have my older NIN CDs that I really enjoy anyway.

No comments: