Pages

Jun 21, 2014

Rocking Out This Summer

I am doing something musically fun this summer. I am learning how to play guitar! Yes, I am! With at least 15 minutes of practice every day...or almost every day (the tips of my fingers start to get a little sore from holding down the metal strings after awhile), I am aiming to be able to strum and sing along to at least one really nice love ballad. Let's see how well I do.


Back in Hawaii, I learned to play the ukelele at the elementary school I went to. It was so much fun! The whole class had to learn the basics as part of our music class, but my teacher taught a small group of us to play some popular hits from the 70s, including some Elton John, Billy Joel, and Ronnie Milsap. I think I got pretty good at it...but it was just a four string instrument. Learning to play guitar has been a bit more challenging. I have to remember the notes and chords on six strings and the frets are farther apart than on an ukelele.

Despite those differences, my determination to learn the guitar is unwavered. After all, I learned to play the ukelele, the piano, the recorder, and a little bit of the electic organ. Okay...I AM bragging a bit there. But I just love music!!! I just wish my kids would share the same interest in learning to play musical instruments as I have.

No comments: