Pages

Feb 12, 2013

Two Thoughts on Art


I was going thru the news feeds on Facebook when I saw this really uniquely carved watermelon.  My first thought is it just amazes me to see how creative some people can get with the most unexpected materials.  Imagine every year we carve pumpkins for Halloween and maybe try to get really fancy with it.  But imagine carving a watermelon!  I think works like these are just awesome! 


Fruits are one thing...but what about ice?


I can't believe anyone would be able to carve out ice or put together blocks of ice in this fashion, even adding lights to make it look like a real liveable building!  Isn't that something?


Oh that Frosty the Snowman in your yard has nothing on this snow sculpture of mythical creatures! 

And when summer comes and we're headed out to the beaches again...try not to build your miniscule sandcastles next to someone making a sand sculpture like this!!!



Seeing how these artists have pursued creativity using such uncommon media reminded me of my elementary school days.  (That's actually my second thought).  I think back to when I first started school.  I don't really remember how I learned to read and write, but I sure do remember all those art projects I was taught to make.

One project I remember spending a lot of time on involved rolling up strips of newspaper into stringable "beads", gluing them together, and painting them after they dried up.  After I made enough beads, I strung them together into a bead curtain.  Those things were soooooo popular back in the 1970s.

I think I spent more time on it than we were actually required to for school because I wanted to make a bead curtain for my mom to decorate in our house.  I knew how much she loved decorating.  :)

Anyway, before you leave this page, how 'bout clicking this blinking button below for my mom...because her appreciation of my early art endeavors led me to keep up my creativity throughout the years.  LOL!  Actually, if you click it, BlogDumps will know you read my post...THANKS!!! 


Come
Join Top Sites Tuesday and be #1 on BlogDumps!
The purpose of this Meme is to encourage
Networking between bloggers and to have fun while doing it!
Make sure to visit all the other participants and leave comments

4 comments:

Cperz said...

I find it fascinating how talented people are. At first glance, I didn't catch that the first carving was a watermelon. I just don't understand how people can carve or mold things out so perfectly. Amazing.


I hope your mom loved the bead curtain after you put time and effort into it.

Click...Have a great week, Liggy!!!

Trina said...

Now that's an awesome watermelon! I agree, some people can be so talented and amazing.

Now, making enough beads to make a beaded curtain, that's cool! I'm sure your mother loved it!

Clicks!
--Trina

Wolfbernz said...

The watermelon looks too good to eat. The ice sculpture is breath taking, how creative to not only stack the ice to look like that, but to light it perfectly. Some people are so creative and know exactly how to use their talents!

I remember a few school projects, I once made a castle out of sugar cubes it was sweet! :)

Clicks for you!
Wolf

Bud said...

The first time I saw a watermelon carved like that was on a cruise. They actually had a class o learn how to do it but I didn't go because I was afraid I'd eat the masterpiece. I particularly like the sand sculptures. I've been to a couple contests here in Socal and they are ven more amazing in person. On the other hand, no ice and snow here. Nice post.

Click,
Bud