Pages

Apr 21, 2012

Katy Perry Shocker


I'm not old-fashioned but I do set some limits on what I think is appropriate for young children and teens.  So it comes as no surprise that Katy Perry's album Teenage Dream really shocked me.  I never really listened to the album since I hear songs from it all the time on the radio.  And while I realize that sometimes Katy Perry can dress rather provocatively, I never paid mind to her dressing style because it is mainly her music (and not really her clothes) that is popular with the youth of today.  When she popularized the song "I Kissed A Girl (and I Liked It)", I even kind of thought of it as a song with a sense of humor.

So I never thought there might be anything shockingly suggestive in her well-selling album, Teenage Dream, or anything inappropriate for her fans who might be as young as my 8-year old daughter.  Besides that, there was no adult advisory labels on her album which I was able to borrow and listen to from my local library.  I figured this would be a fun, danceable, innocent album to listen to.

Boy was I wrong!!!  (Warning: if you don't want to read explicit or suggestive lyrics, go no further).

Did they stop putting warning labels on music CDs?  Or are warning labels only found on heavy metal, rock, or rap albums?  Unless someone removed the sticker, I didn't see one on this album so my jaw dropped when I listened to what Katy Perry was singing in the track "Circle The Drain".  Here she goes:

You fall asleep during foreplay
‘Cause the pills you take are more your forte
I’m not sticking around to watch you go down
Wanna be your lover
Not your fucking mother
Can’t be your savior
I don’t have the power
I’m not gonna stay
And watch you circle the drain
Watch you circle the drain
Watch you circle the drain
 And what about the song "Peacock"?  Here's what she sings:

Are you brave enough to let me see your peacock
Don’t be a chicken boy, stop acting like a bee-otch
I’ma peace out if you don’t give me the payoff
Come on baby let me see
What you hiding underneath
In that same song, she also repeats this chorus:
Peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock, -cock
Your peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock
I wanna see your peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock, -cock
Your peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock 
The song "Last Friday Night" was not any cleaner.  Here she sings:
We went streaking in the park
Skinny dipping in the dark
Then had a ménage à trois
Last Friday night
I was glad I didn't let my daughter listen to this before I had gotten the chance to.  Definitely not something I'd want to hear my daughter's teacher tell me she's been singing in school!

No comments: