Pages

May 2, 2011

Two Thoughts About TV


This Tuesday, I wanted to take a breather from all the news about Bin Laden and this past week-end's Royal Wedding. I thought I might take a little walk down TV memory lane and remember one of my favorite childhood shows - Sesame Street and my favorite feature show within it. Can you guess what that was? 

Yes, it was "Here is Your Life!" hosted by the most suave looking muppet there ever was...Guy Smiley.

Guy Smiley hosts "This Is Your Life"

Sesame Street has been around since 1969 and has gone through a lot of changes in keeping up with the times and changing audience demands.  But throughout the ages, it has always been a show that the average kid can easily relate to and enjoy.  I love it because I think it has been the most educational show ever created.  In fact, I know some children who came to America not speaking a word of English but after watching Sesame Street daily, became very fluent in English.  But hey, did you know that Sesame Street not only teaches English, but also Spanish and sign language as well?  Sesame Street makes learning communication skills fun! 


While speaking of Sesame Street, I thought I'd mention Guy Smiley in particular because he was my favorite muppet from the series, even though Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy seemed to have gotten more media attention at the time.  Guy Smiley was always such a vibrant character and as a host, he helped young viewers learn more about the "life" or the "background" of everyday things that we don't really pause to think about.  For instance, he had guests like a loaf of bread, a tooth, and a tree.  By giving the guests clues about their "lives", young viewers got fun little history lessons about these things.  As a child, I enjoyed seeing the excitement of the guests when they learned all these amazing new things about themselves.

Guy Smiley hosted other shows on Sesame Street.  These shows were parodies of real network TV shows.  I don't really remember much about them though. I guess the details didn't stick to me as well as "Here is Your Life" has.  But Guy Smiley sure stuck to me as one of my favorite TV show hosts of all time.  I wonder, did you have any favorite Sesame Street characters when you were growing up?

Let me know!  But before you go, don't forget to click the blinking button below!  ;)
 




Come Join Top Sites Tuesday and be #1 on BlogDumps!

The purpose of this Meme is to encourage
Networking between bloggers to have fun while doing it!
Make sure to visit all the other participants and leave comments
View More Top Sites Tuesday Participants on Technorati here.
See who Tweeted this Post!

5 comments:

AngelBaby said...

Oh do I remember Sesame street! My children watched it everyday until they went to school. I can see them sitting in front of the TV watching this show. Thanks for the memories.

Here's your click ...........

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby

Wolfbernz said...

Hi Liggy

I remember the show too.
I think my favorite was Kermit The Frog probably because he talks funny!

Great memories, Clicks for you :)

wolf

Trina said...

Guy Smiley! I loved the this is your life stuff when I was little. But I suppose my favorite character is Oscar the Grouch. He was grumpy and rude and annoyable but he had a huge heart :)

Great post!
--Trina

Anonymous said...

Oh, stop! My favorite Sesame Street characters when I was growing up? I was long grown in 1969! But I did watch it with my kids. That was the other thing about the show ... they put in enough humor for adults (like Guy Smiley's parodies of shows) that parents didn't mind having it on.

Have you ever heard of the Broadway show, Q Street? It's a VERY risque parody of Sesame Street. Very funny if you're not easily offended.

Clicks,
Bud

Stacy said...

my son loves that show