Pages

Jun 21, 2017

My Top Five WILD songs

On my way to work one morning, I was listening to the radio and heard Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" song. It got me thinking, I wonder how many hit songs I could think of that have "wild" in the title? Of course, there are lots of them...and I'll bet you can name some songs I probably have not even heard of (especially if they're not my type of music - haha!).

Now, this list is NOT in any particular order but these are the FIVE songs with "Wild" in the title that I like best. First, there's Motley Crue's "Wild Side" from the Dr. Feelgood album. I just LOVE that song and video. Of course, I've always liked hard rock and heavy metal music best and I really love Nikki Sixx. He's just a very talented guy!!


Cat Stevens originally made this next song a big hit in the 70s but I really like Mr. Big's acoustic version from the Bump Ahead album (1993). Incidentally, did you know that this supergroup is still making music? In fact, they are on tour and have a new album, "Defying Gravity" coming out soon. If you like Mr. Big, too, you can follow them on Twitter (@mrbigmusic).



Back in high school (and after), I used to listen to Duran Duran a lot with my other teen-aged friends. We'd pick a band member for each of us to have as our imaginary celebrity boyfriends. Lead singer, Simon Le Bon, of course had many picks...same with guitarist, John Taylor. Drummer Roger Taylor had his following, too, though he wasn't as popular as some of the other bandmembers. I liked Nick Rhodes, thought not too many of my close friends were into the makeup-wearing keyboardist/synthesizer.

Here's their "wild" hit "Wild Boys" which was originally released in 1984.

This list would not be complete without mentioning the classic rock song Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf. One of my favorite bands, Hinder (whom I was fortunate enough to meet and greet at their NorVa concert a few years ago) remade this classic hit in 2007. I think both versions rock but I'm just going to share Hinder's version here since they're from my generation.


If I did have to pick a number one from this Top Five list, I would probably pick this Skid Row hit, "Youth Gone Wild". It's not just the music that I love but check out Sebastian Bach (one of my all-time favorite rock singers) and the rest of the band banging their heads. When I see music videos like this, I really miss those glamor-rock/headbanger days. Kinda makes a thinning-hair Generation X-er like me feel a little envious (until I realize that these guys are likely also experiencing the same thing with their own hair).

No comments: