Pages

Feb 29, 2008

Lestat Lives!

I might be a little off-theme here, but I really thought I should mention this. People close to me know that I am a fan of Anne Rice, the author famous for writing the Vampire Chronicles, whose most well-known character is the Vampire Lestat.  Many of us probably remember that character from Tom Cruise's movie Interview With the Vampire, wherein he played the vampire Lestat.  Brad Pitt co-starred in the movie as Louis de Pointe du Lac.  The then-young starlet, Kirsten Dunst, played Claudia, a girl that was turned into a vampire and was doomed to spend the rest of her life at that age.


  


I just felt like blogging about this because I was thrilled to find out that she is going to come back with another Lestat novel- after vowing to write only religious stories about Christ when she returned to her Catholic roots.  I have to admit, while I am not against the religion (I am Catholic myself), I didn't get as much thrill out of reading her Christ the Lord novel as I did from reading the Vampire novels.  I mean, her Christ book was very well-written.  It gave me a look at Christ's life from a perspective I've never envisioned before.  But my lust for the goth, passion, philosophy, and history that she blends her vampire novel series were just not being satisfied. 



In a Time Magazine online article posted today, Anne Rice says that Lestat Lives.  Yes, she will write another vampire novel.  While not abandoning her vow to keep writing religious stories, she will bring back Lestat who "will be wrestling with the existence of God throughout the story" as she puts it.  Sounds like it's going to rouse some controversy. 


Yes, sounds like it's going to be exciting!!!


 


 

1 comment:

Ophelia said...

I haven't read any of Anne Rice's novels. I'm not into vampires, ha ha ha. But actually, now that I know about her Christian books, I think I might take a look at those some time. Even if they might be on the "boring" side, I'd like to at least see what she wrote about Christ. I hear it may be a while before her next vampire book comes out, so it may be a little bit of a wait for you. I hope it will be worth the wait! :)