Pages

Apr 24, 2012

Two Thoughts for Tuesday

In mid-February this year, I noticed a very swift-moving wren flying in and out of the warehouse near the graphics room where I go to do some printing jobs at work. It was also about that time that I noticed that it was actually building a nest in one of our bookshelves there. This is what it looked like:


Even during the month of March, I saw the bird coming back and forth every so often but there were also large gaps of time where I didn't see the bird coming back. I didn't do anything about the nest because there were some days that I didn't see any birds there at all. I figured the bird gave up and decided to build another nest somewhere else - like outside the building, perhaps?!


What a surprise when last week, we came in to work early one morning to the loud chirps of the tiny baby birds being coached out of the building by their parents. It was amazing!!!

I tried to take some pictures and videos of the baby wrens as they were learning to fly. Here's a couple of stills I got of two of the babies:



Here's a video of the baby bird that was on top of the cylindrical drums as he was trying to fly away:




Now that you've read all that, I must say, my first thought today is that I am still in awe about the amazing way the parent birds kept coming back for their young and taking time to get them to fly out of the building on their own. In fact, one of the four babies had challenges getting out and one of the parents tried very hard the next day to coach it. Finally, one of my co-workers got the baby to fly into a box and took it out to where the rest of its family were gathered. Now they're all outside and free.

My second thought today is that I'm really gonna miss those birds. That was such an amazing nature story to have witnessed. Reminds me of the robin family that had built a nest on top of the pear tree in my backyard about two years ago. All I can say is,"WOW!"



Come Join Top Sites Tuesday and be #1 on BlogDumps!

The purpose of this Meme is to encourage
Networking between bloggers and to have fun while doing it!
Make sure to visit all the other participants and leave comments

5 comments:

Cperz said...

That is an amazing story. I am super happy about a couple of things. Every year, a family of birds (or sometimes a couple of families) build and nest in our yard. But baby birds in nature don't fare well with squirrels, other birds, and CATS. So every year I get my heart broke. I am not kidding. I can't take the loss. I wish all little bird families could find your warehouse and have people help them if needed.

Trina said...

How cool! I've never watched a wren nest, but it looks like they made a perfect home in your warehouse! They even recycled some of the shredded paper for you! LOL

Thank you for sharing that, isn't nature amazing!?!

Clicks!
--Trina

AngelBaby said...

That is so cool. I love watching baby bird learning to fly. When I was living with a friend of mine we had a humming bird build a nest in the W of our wind chime, it was so cool.

Here's your click ...........

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby

Wolfbernz said...

Hi Liggy,

How cool is that :)

It's always fun to watch nature take its course. Everytime I've seen something like this happen on the farm I always feel bad for the baby bird because they crash so bad sometimes and I want to help but know I can't.

Clicks for you!
Wolf

Bud said...

Oh, I love it. I'm a big time bird lover and baby birds are the best. Every spring, we get quail families on our back slope and several year ago, there was a red tailed hawk nest that we watched the babies grow up in. Thanks for posting this.

Bud